26 November, 2010

Dinner with a Scottish Family

I'm back. I should have come back to this nearly on Wednesday but I've been avoiding the trek to the computer lab. I am going to break this up though.


It's blurry and it's a random church I saw along my wandering

  Last Friday the 19th, I had dinner with a lovely family in Aberdeen. They were more on the outskirts so it took me a bit to get over to their place. it was only an hour or so on the bus. Since I didn't know how long I was supposed to ride on the second bus (that I've never been on before) I got off too early. I walked for a bit before I asked a shop clerk how much farther it was. Turned out I got off way too early so I got back on the same bus (good thing I had a day pass) and rode it for another ten minutes. I gave the lady of the house a ring to tell her I was outside a inn she told me to wait at and they came to pick me up. Mind you, I've never met this family before. We were hooked up through the Radiate program here in Aberdeen, which is a mass of religions under one name that is for the students of Aberdeen (Aberdeen Uni as well as RGU).
  We hit it off nicely. I was introduced and we started talking right away. They were a older couple and they had just returned from their second place in France (that is why it took so long for me to have dinner with them).
  May I say first off, they have two Siamese cats! or Burmese I don't know the difference. They were well-behaved beautiful cats and I was in absolute heaven.They also have a great Dane or some other big dog like that. I miss my animals more then anything and I miss my cat more then that. Yeah I know I'm slightly mental.
  We had a lot to talk about in which case I'm not going to regale you with everything. It's the usual conversations but it got deep when I told them about my topic for my IR essay (To have the euro or not to have the euro?). They were a family that was well-off. I was afraid that I was going to dump my red wine on their immaculate floor. They also had beautiful paintings done by a famous painter who has even done the queens portrait. The place setting for dinner had the etiquette cutlery you see for fancy dinners (thank goodness for my small experience with it). Yeah like I said they are well-off.
  So the food was amazing (barbecued chicken, tatties, Greek salad, peas, fried mushrooms), the conversation was wonderful, the animals were cuddly, the wine was delicious, and the couple were good-humored. It was the best three hours. I loved every minute.

I will suggest to any of the students coming over to Aberdeen that you join Radiate. You don't need to be religious but when you can get away from the student life and to experience a more adult culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment