08 November, 2010

Stirling!


An Actor at the Wallace Monument

  If you ever come to Scotland. Stirling is one place you do not want to miss out on. I didn't see much but what I saw was enough for me to love it. The Wallace Monument was a hike up to the top but the view was worth it and there were other hikes that I wish i had time to explore but unfortunately not. A word of warning, there are 236 or 246 steps to the top of the Wallace Monument and it's winding staircase. I made at least 200 of them before both my fears of winding staricases and heights crippled me and I turned around. There were small rooms on the way up so I took breaks but it was too high up and I didn't feel safe. Dang it! Stupid fear. I hadn't known how many there were till I was that far up. For some silly reason I wasn't thinking there were that many.
  Anyways the tour of Stirling castle is worth it. If you go after Easter next year there should be restored bedchamber in the castle part that you can see. It should be amazing. At least the hype is for it.
  On a side note I loved hearing the history from the tour guide. It was great how I could compare what he was saying with what I knew of Scottish history. I love that most of it I already did know. I have been absorbing the information from the stories and history books I've read my entire life. Yeah for me!
  Now I've posted a few pics. The one with the queen has a small story. The man asked me where I was from. I answered Michigan. He says "that's were M&M's from". I swear that's what I heard so it took me a bit to say "oh yeah Eminem is from Detroit". Which for this small time yooper is another city entirely for Michigan.
  We finished the tour at a small brewery. There were four samples of beer we tried. I couldn't really taste a difference except that I liked the third on which was made with some special hop or no hop. I didn't hear. The fourth one was by far the best. That one had chili pepper added. The spicy after taste was by far the best beer I've ever had. Another small story; the German guy, Cornelius, I was talking to gave us a good laugh as we tried that last one. He was surprised that the "chili" beer was spicy. I was like (sarcastic) "that is usually what chili is". Then he is like, "I thought he said 'jelly'." Yep we laughed at that.

From the base of Wallace Monument


From the bottom of Wallace Monument hill

Stirling Castle outer wall


inside the courtyard

Inside the great hall

the view of Wallace Monument from Stirling Castle


The queen and the guard of Stirling Castle
 
Pumbkin Beer at a small brewery


No comments:

Post a Comment