21 September, 2010

9/20/2010

toon=town

  How can someone be sick of their own voice? Maybe not sick of, but feel that it lacks behind others. I've gotten to that point after a few days. How pathetic. I am at the place today that I want to talk less and listen more. Also I am ready to have the peaceful-ness of being by myself. I need that for a little while.

  Or at least I felt that in the morning when I woke up. What got me in such a horrible mood was that a door woke me up when it was slammed. Not that door slamming makes me cranky, it was the fact that in my barely-awake mind I actually felt like I was at my own home for a few seconds. It really isn't that horrible but it made me sad and got me thinking.

Inside the courtyard of King's college

  Today there were things we actually had to go to. I changed my mind last second to take the bus and walked in my flats. Needless to say, my feet were soaked from the usual (so far) morning rain. I hope for a dry cold winter.Can you understand that? I hope this winter the snow doesn't melt in degrees and then become ice. I just want a constant freezing. However, I am digressing. I walked to King's College, a building that is going to come up a lot in my blog, where I had my international meeting/orientation. I was slightly disappointed that Molly Pranther, International coordinator turned out to be American or at least had an American accent. The orientation was for the North America and Japan students. I learned more and received more information. There really is getting to be too much pamphlets. It's becoming information overload. I have had at least five maps from various places given to me.
  After the orientation, I visited the Hub, another popular common place for us students. I swear I could see all the American students that I had just left in the line at Subway. To be fair I couldn't see everyone that was in the orientation. I wasn't going to buy anything to eat but I buckled and found something a little more traditional upstairs. It was a definite treat.
  The rest of the day was unexceptional. I really need to buy some hiking boots for all these cobbled roads. In the afternoon there was an international dinner advertised at the college. It's free food but the catch was that it was being hosted by the churches of Aberdeen. Oh Yipee! Other than that it was an excellent way to meet new people from around the world and from the area. I thought that was reason enough to go and I wasn't disappointed.
  The first guy I talked to at first couldn't recognize I was from the states. I was starting to mimic his Irish accent just a bit. He said though that I said a few words almost Canadian. I let that slide because really I was being rude. I then got to talk to this other young woman and we really got along. I kinda attached myself to her. It was bad of me since I was supposed to meet others. I really can talk to people by myself. I believe I am just not good at the first step to integrate myself to a person or a small group (though I like to talk one-on-one better). Anyways, at least the meal was set up that I could talk to women from Austria, Bulgaria, Scotland, Germany, and Kenya. The guys at our table were on the other side and I couldn't hear for the life of me what they were saying. Gotta say the guy from Spain was fit!

St.Peters cemetary
  The first woman, who's name is pip, even gave me a ride from the church to Hillhead. How kind of her. All in all I got a few facebook names and hope to add them. Also I will be able to meet up with them at the cultural events. The first event is tomorrow and it is going to be my fist Ceilidh. Tell you what that is like in the next post.
  I also learned about the Catholic church near by. I might go just so I can see how beautiful and old this church is. Oh and did you know the Pope came to England? Apparently (according to the Catholic priest) the uni of Aberdeen was set up by a long ago pope or bishop.
 When I got back, I met up with more of my hall mates. There are a lot of girls that speak spanish and I am told that by the end of my three months I am going to be learning a few words. They speak alot of Spanish among themselves so I believe it. How hard is it to pick up another language? That is a rhetorical question. Tomorrow is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment