24 September, 2010

9/22/2010-9/23/2010

Just going to combine these two days. It might be a mess because I was too exhausted to write anything down. It has been great! I am trying to shorten some of these points out. It is my belief that I am going on more about what I did then any impressions that I have gained but just going to say that is going to be a little hard right now since I am just so excited of what I am doing!

Wednesday,


St. Machar's Cathedral

Another cemetary









 I walked through Seaton Park that is right next to Hillhead. It is a beautiful place and I can't wait to explore it more. When I came out of the Park I was at the St. Machars Cathedral. I now know where it is.

My decoration for my room; important pamphlets


 I went to the Society Fayre! I think I bit off too much. I completely joined the International society and the Malt Whiskey Society. I mean I paid my fees for them already. The International society has trips planned and the first one is going to be that of Loch Ness! I signed up for the mailing list for five others. I did that when I started at Albion as well. It just looks like so much fun. I also paid for a month on the bus pass. I will try to walk more but still this has already paid off having.

My buss pass

 
  I went to Diversity Night, which was me learning how to play African drums and trying to hear the skit the Comedy club tried to put on.

Thursday,
   Just saying but there was another fire alarm. It seems the hall next door to this all girls dorm is all boys. Like someone said, that's just asking for problems.
I had more Class Registration: for French and the Celtic course
 
Scottish Culture day: This has been the best event I have gone to by far. The societies that are based in the Scottish culture like the Malt Whiskey society, the Highland dance society, and the Celtic society were here. Also there were booths of local businesses. There was a Scottish chocolate store, Tartan store, and a weddings and vacation store. I got to try haggis! Now I really don't know what the big deal was. It tastes like spicy sausage. I loved it!
  The student representative for the college came up to the stage and gave us a listing of words that were special to those in Aberdeen and Aberdeen shire. That's right, they have dialect that isn't English. It's a form of Doric. He gave us a new word for every letter of the alphabet. It was hilarious how he explained them.

Aabody and Aathing= Everybody and Everything
Tattie=potato
Quaen=girl


I am not about to give you them all but I do want to buy the book he showed us. After he finished the Dance society came out. Ah me! I wish I had the words to describe it. I also wish I could have taken pictures but my camera decided to finally die. All I could think of was Bedknobs and Broomsticks and the music scene in the street. The first few songs were to the bagpipes and were more traditional or for festivals. They are more reserved. I don't know if this is true yet but it was only girls who dance them. The dances were the sword dance, the lassie dance, and the bluebell. Then after the dances a man came out to play the pipes. I had managed to take a picture earlier of his playing. I love the sound they make when they are played correctly. I guess that will be a good thing then. When he played three songs, one being the anthem, he left the stage for the fiddlers, drummers, guitarist, and dancers to come out. Now it was time for the ceilidh. This isn't the ceilidh I said I was going to. As far as I can tell the ceilidh is more of a country dance with men and women joining along. It's fun, loud, and energetic. I didn't join in and I realize that is bad of me but my feet were soaked through from all the rain we had that morning.

  I went to ASDA (a sort of wal-mart) to buy some flat waterproof boots, an adapter so I could charge my camera, and more socks. I went with two new friends and it was a 2 hour and half trip on the bus with a half hour to shop. Turns out we didn't even have to go but hey it was an adventure. Now I know how to get over there and to the city centre easily if I ever want to.
  I missed the ceilidh because I saw one at the Fayre and I figure when I join the Celtic Society I will have other invites to some.
  I missed the Real Ale Society pub crawl because I really just forgot about it when I decided to go to the Celtic Society first meeting
  I went to the Celtic Society first meeting, which had a fiddle, flute, and cello playing by the main members. It was a good time just to talk, have a pint of cider topped with black current, listen to the music, and learn a few words in Gaelic.

Ceol (K'yawl)=music
sidewalk in old Aberdeen

No comments:

Post a Comment