27 September, 2010

Weekend Craziness

  Well I fell behind again. I just did not have the energy to type everything. I didn't even write everything down. I stopped mid thought even but I will continue it on here.

  I just started doing my laundry and I am going to write down what just happened the last two days (it's going to be three now). What an amazing time I just had. Today I am literally dragging myself from bed.
  Friday wasn't all that as Saturday turned out to be. I took a walk about to the beach. I was told by Pip (see past blogs for a reference of her) to which beach was closer and less 'touristy'. I crossed a foot bridge across the Don River. It was such a beautiful bridge. The houses along it were quaint. That's something I also love about over here; the buildings. They are almost always made of stone or concrete. It's mostly stone and in old Aberdeen it has a deeper impact on my heart. When I got closer to the beach however the houses were larger and they actually had space between them. I really wish I could post all those pictures I took but really that is way too many. You will only be getting the ones I deem more important to show.
  The beach was small but nice. I went looking for the less 'touristy' beach because I am trying to be economical in my choices. I don't need the temptation to spend. Oh so far I've avoided the pound shops so I don't have souvenirs yet. There is still some time for that.
 
Now Saturday was really something. I had asked my hall mate Lisa to come on the castles and whiskey tour during the week. Friday, on a whim, I went to buy my ticket (£20). They informed me they were selling them to 5 pm. After that there wouldn't be any tickets to buy the Saturday. Now I had a feeling that Lisa didn't know this so I thought to buy her ticket. However, I talked myself into looking for her instead and I didn't have her number. Unfortunately, I didn't find her till 7. I really felt like shit for not buying it for her when I got the chance. We still took a chance that she would be able to get on when it would leave Saturday at 9am. Luckily there were empty spots on the buses so it worked out.
  We headed North for two hours. We almost were in Inverness! Lisa and I got split up on the bus. I was sitting to a guy from Ireland and she got to sit by someone from Denmark. I don't know what she was talking about but Mark and I were talking about everything....

  This is were I got stopped writing on Sunday by my laundry being finished and Sunday craziness that began. Now lets see if I can keep my thoughts straight enough to type this.
  Our first stop was the whiskey distillery, Glenlivet. Now we got the tour where they explained the whiskey making process. I could go through all that but really that would be a very long post. What is important is that there are three things Scotland whiskey needs and that is; barley, fresh water, and yeast. Also whiskey has to mature for 12 years at least before it can be sold. Before it can actually be called whiskey as well. The Glenlivet company is quite large. They have 50 or more warehouses to store their whiskey. To me that is fairly large I don't know if there are whiskey distilleries that have more.
  After the tour, drafts of Glenlivet whiskey were passed out. There was the choice of 12 year, 15 year, or 18 year old whiskey. Legally you could only try one, but some of the guys ended up having three glasses after some of the girls couldn't drink theirs. I tried the 18 year old and had a sip of the 12 year that Lisa tried. The 18 year is calmer, coats your tongue (or at least mine), and tasted just a tad better. All whiskey leaves behind a warmth in your body so no wonder the Scots drink the stuff in this weather.
  Our next stop was the Ballindalloch Castle and Estate. Word for word from the website "Ballindalloch is one of the most beautiful and renowned castles in Scotland. Known as the Pearl of the North, it is located in the heart of Speyside, near to the famed local whisky distilleries of Cragganmore, Glenlivet, Glenfarclas and Glenfiddich. Surrounded by majestic hills, and with the tumbling waters of the Rivers Spey and Avon flowing through the grounds, the setting is truly magnificent. A much loved family home, Ballindalloch is one of the few privately owned castles to have been lived in continuously by its original family. The Macpherson-Grants have resided here since 1546." Check this out for more information that I can't give you http://www.ballindallochcastle.co.uk/speyside/index.cfm. We met the lady laird of the castle and that was neat. She had a sense of humor. I liked being at the castle but I find that I like being outside it rather then inside. I felt like I was invading their home Never mind that it is open to the public. They do still live there. I do wish I wasn't with the bus because I felt rushed by them and could not take the time to see everything. I would love to go back with a smaller party.
  On to the next distillery. This one is called Glenfiddich, which is Gaelic for deer in the valley. This tour was more organized and had two short films ready for us to see. I liked that since I went on the last tour I was able to understand and know what everything that went on. Again after the tour we had drafts of the 12, 15, and 18 year old whiskey. I preferred the 15 at the time but I change my mind all the time. I can't decide. By the last draft I was over drinking whiskey for the day.
  That alone was the Castle and Whiskey tour. After we got back I went out with the a larger party of people to a get-together on the beach. It was the same beach that I saw Friday. It is even more beautiful at night! The moon was reflecting off the sea water on one side. The lights of the city were shining on the other. I bumped into more Lithuanians. They were really surprised when I could say the few things that I remember. I didn't know it till then that I miss the expressions of  people when you pleasantly surprise them with another language.
  It was too cold on the beach so we headed back to Hillhead Halls. We got there in time for the last dance of the Ceilidh that the uni was putting on. I didn't dance but I loved watching. I need to actually be taught the way so I feel more confident to join in. It looks like fun and you don't need a lot of dancing skill so I should be able to do it.

Well that was Saturday. Sunday I did my laundry obviously. The weather was also the best it has been in Scotland since I arrived. It was nice and sunny so me and two other girls went for a walk to the beach. We ended up at the one I didn't go to before. It was a long walk.


  That night I went to the St.Machar church for the gospel concert they had. I wasn't expecting it to cost but it was worth the £10. I love music. The inside of the church was perfect for the wonderful voices of the choir as well. I felt at peace and I nearly cried from the beautiful chords. I really am a sentimental girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment