22 October, 2010

Teaser for the weekend

Acoustic night at the Bobbin with Lisa, Iveta, and the girl behind the camera Audre.
22/10/2010

"Muhaha," I laugh. Here again is going to be a tantalizing teaser for all you waiting to know what's happening with me. And this will end up being another long post. I thought on a lot to say in this blog and I wrote it all down. Mostly advice and observations (finally huh?) of going on around me. Then I must write of Thursday which is the attached photo. Right now I'm off to the Celtic Society Ceilidh and then most likely to a small pub for most of the night. Tomorrow at 8am (again) I'm off on another InterSoc trip, this time to St.Andrews. There is going to be another castle! I'll probably make that a separate post. Here is hoping it is just a little bit more organized though getting the tickets was a chore.

Well I'm off to dance the night away. I'm in a really good mood. Best wishes to everyone and hope your lives are just as exciting as mine is feeling.

24/10/2010

This will just cover Friday and the little tidbits since there was a whole big day on Saturday. Most likely I won't have time to get to all of it if. (I still haven't given an update on last Saturday and it might wait till Monday before I will)

Oh and Saturday at 1:30 am there was the seventh fire alarm. Getting crankier every time I have to get up for it.

  I will just start with some observation. This actual has nothing to do with Scottish people but on people themselves. There is this couple that I know are both from America that I continue to see. They take the bus together, they have the same classes together, and they might possibly be from the same place. I don't know if they are and I'm tempted to ask. At least I believe the guy might have hobby that doesn't involve the other. I say good for him because that is a whole lot of togetherness that is just crazy. Why would you want to go abroad to study with your boyfriend/girlfriend in the same city, uni, and courses? I can understand the city and perhaps the uni but the same dang courses? Bah. Now there could be a perfect explanation to all this. It could be that they met on the plane over, fell madly in love and decided to take everything together. Right, nix that one. A more reasonable I guess would be that they are from the same uni in the states and they met taking the same courses. When it came to study abroad then they just decide to go together.
  You might now be asking, "Sam, what are you doing being so judgemental and a busy-body?" I really wish I could explain this. On one side I find this slightly disgusting but on the other I find it almost adorable. Why I mention it though is because of their status as international students. I actually know nothing about them and I am trying very hard not to judge. I will not say that they spend all their time together since I'm not stalking them but it just seems like a big portion. My purpose for mentioning them is to question what happens when you go to the extreme. If you have a significant other that you spend all your time with in the states, you travel abroad to broaden your horizon with that significant other beside you, which you then spend all your time with in the other country, then how can you experience different aspects or meet different people with nothing holding you back?

  Moving on, my tutor in International Security, has been making some snappy remarks about Americans that makes me almost believe he disapproves of them. To be fair he comes up with many remarks for all countries' stupidity. It's just that there are so many more American examples of stupidity then anything else. I try not to take it personal since many of the examples are true.
  My other professor in International Security scares me as well but in a different way. She is impersonal and more business like to the point of being abrupt. When I had to have my early-leave agreement signed, she almost seemed angry.

  Last random thought and this one I wrote down. Here it is; Hold your judgement and don't think of me as crazy. I noticed when I went to Lithuania how certain scents make me miss certain people. Since that is in my private journal and never saw the light of a blog, I thought I would say it here. It's not a random thought. I was walking past a worker (20/10/2010) who was leaf-blowing the pavement and the smell of the machine (gas?) had me missing my dad. He is the one who I end up missing the most as I'm constantly surrounded by certain smells of machines, fresh paint, or cig smoke. All of these smells feel good to me because I associate them with him. For my mom, it's hard to say there is a trigger smell other then wood smoke or the smell from hospitals. My Grams is laundry soap and hospitals as well. My brother I just miss all the time and there is no trigger I can think of other than axe spray.
  Now that I've gotten you thinking I'm "off my rocker", I want to reassure you that I'm not as homesick as that says. I don't cry over missing them or worry about them too much. It was only after I had been in Lithuania for seven months that I had an experience of walking into my host parents new house they were building and I just walked out to cry because I missed my dad so much. That even gets me to think (again? I might have said this before) is why I'm just fine to get through three months.

Now on to what happened Friday night. The ceilidh was a great success for the Celtic Society. The music, the dancing, the crowd, and the bar were all in fine form. I only regret that I couldn't find anyone to accompany me to the dance. Granted I only asked one person but I felt for sure that she would come. She had something more important so I went alone. There was no way I was going to miss my first ceilidh and I didn't want to go on the one that would be on Sunday (InterSoc will put it on). I liked to watch and it was just great in that state. However I didn't like the idea that I was just watching so when I was asked to join in, I did. Here is where it got a little messy. Now the dances I had been watching looked complicated but they looked do-able. It would figure that the first ceilidh dance I participate in, I would end up being picked up with another girl and be spun for twelve seconds. It was two guys to pick up two girls. They managed to pick us up two times before the third they lost their strength and since my eyes were closed, I fell on the floor. It was a gentle drop, and in actuality it was more of a slide. I was laughing the entire time during the dance but it was from embarrassment mostly. I might have said too much as I was just so embarrassed that I couldn't shut up and it was mostly repeating myself.
  This is now hard to comment because it turns out people are actually reading this (me, sarcastic? never) and I know at least what a few will say if I say this wrong. Please understand. My entire life I've been big or at least of what I remember. When people have picked me up it has ended badly or me being embarrassed and that is why I don't like to be picked up. I tried my hardest though to not let it get to me and I still participated when I found out the routine of the dance.
  However, my enjoyment of the night was dampened. After I was getting "pitied" introductions and invitations because I was also alone (I always seem to be a loner but a loner in a crowd is a pathetic sight). I took that as a "I've got to get out." I made my excuses which actually turned out to be lies and just ended up going home since my friends didn't go to the pub at all.
  I'm sorry that I didn't have a good enough time that I can tell you it was a dream. I seem to ruin my own fun by own thoughts and ideas that I should just get over. But isn't that what I did when I joined in the dance in the first place?
  Despite the last half hour before I left I was near collapsing with tears, it was fun and I really think it was well worth it.

Stamp of the ceilidh

No comments:

Post a Comment